Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Jesus Said "Follow Me!"

Jesus Said "Follow Me!" 

This past Sunday, 10/16/23, was Laity Sunday. My only contribution to worship was to sing in the choir and play my guitar for a couple of hymns. It is a very visual way to reenforce the truth, we are all ministers and are all engaged in leading and supporting each other. 

As a result, I do not have a sermon this week. Instead, I offer this excerpt from the Daily Meditations from Father Richard Rohr and the Center for Action and Communication. This message rings true in my heart. I will likely return to this quote in the future. 

"Jesus clearly taught the twelve disciples about surrender, the necessity of suffering, humility, servant leadership, and nonviolence. They resisted him every time, and so he finally had to make the journey himself and tell them, “Follow me!” But Christians have preferred to hear something Jesus never said: “Worship me.” Worship of Jesus is rather harmless and risk-free; following Jesus changes everything." - Fr. Richard Rohr 10/18/16 


It is not so much about believing the exact right thing. It is not so much about convincing others to believe the right thing. It is about how we treat others. It is about being generous and compassionate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment